Saturday 4 April 2015

Chocolate Chia Mousse



            Happy Easter everyone! Or happy chocolate and hot cross bun weekend if you don’t celebrate Easter. I have a little naughty but nice chocolate recipe for you here today, that is my go to healthier version of a chocolate dessert when nothing but chocolate will do!

            Now I know a lot of people out there try out ‘healthy swap’ recipes and are disappointed because they taste nothing like the dish they are trying to recreate, I’ve been there too!

            So when I was testing out a chia pudding recipe, I was using almond milk and berries, which did turn out nice but not really what I wanted, I changed it up and used coconut milk and raw cacao powder… and was blown away. I had to force myself to stop eating the whole batch…

            It has an awesome light mousse texture but the coconut milk and raw cacao make it taste like it is a really decadent and rich dessert.


A little bit about C H I A  S E E D S ;

These powerful little seeds are jam packed full of omega 3, fibre and protein.
            ~ One tablespoon of chia contains 3 grams of omega 3 and 6 grams of dietary fibre. This helps increase energy levels, improve digestion and promote healthy hair, skin and nails. They also love to absorb liquid, they can absorb up to 16 times their own weight! This can increase your feelings of fullness after eating as well as helping your body regulate hydration levels.
            ~ As a vegan protein source they are also pretty amazing as they contain all nine of the essential amino acids, which are the building blocks in our bodies and essential for maintaining a healthy functioning you!
            ~ There is also no nutritional difference between the white and the black chia seeds so feel free to use which ever you like for this recipe.




Chocolate Chia Mousse

Plant-based – Gluten Free – Dairy Free

Serves: 2 people
Time: prep- 10 minutes
Setting- 5 hrs or overnight

Ingredients:
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 400ml or 1 ¾ cup coconut milk
- 3 tbsp liquid sweetener
- 1 tsp Maca (optional)
- 1 tsp Mesquite (optional)
- ¼ cup cacao/carob powder
- ½ tsp vanilla extract or ¼ tsp of vanilla powder
- pinch of cinnamon
- pinch of Himalayan pink salt

Top with:
- Fresh berries, shredded coconut and goji berries – it is quite rich so the fresh berries really help to cut through it.




Method:
- Add all ingredients into a jar and make sure you stir and combine everything well.

- Pop the jar into the fridge to set.

- Serve with a layer of fruit in the centre and then top with fresh berries, coconut and goji.




Let me know how you go if you do try this out yourselves, or post a picture on instagram with the hashtag #cinnamoncourtney so I can see all of your recreations.



‘When I decide to be happy, I attract great things I my life’ – Robert Holden



Source:
The Chia Co. – www.thechiaco.com

No comments:

Post a Comment