Wednesday 8 April 2015

Cinnamon Buckwheat Pancakes




            When I was little we would often have pancake Sundays, and if I’m completely honest, I really didn’t like pancakes (I was a pretty fussy eater). Although I loved how my family would all come together and cook up a lot of pancakes for a lazy Sunday breakfast together. The left over pancakes would be eaten by my dad and brother throughout the week. So whenever I cook pancakes, it’s ingrained in me to cook up a large batch, so if you don’t want to end up with as many pancakes as this recipe makes, feel free to halve it!

            I recently got my hands on some banana flour and I have to say that it’s delicious! For this recipe if you can’t get your hands on any banana flour, you can just substitute it for buckwheat flour and it works just as well. I got my banana flour from my work at The Source Bulk Foods in Camberwell.

            Also I used coconut nectar as my liquid sweetener, but you could substitute this with your preference of liquid sweetener; like rice malt syrup, molasses, pure maple syrup, agave syrup or honey if you aren’t vegan.


Cinnamon Buckwheat Pancakes

Plant-based – Gluten Free – Dairy Free

Makes: around 20 medium pancakes
Time: prep- 10 minutes
Cooking- 15-20 minutes





Ingredients:
- 3/4 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 ¼ cup banana flour, (could swap this for buckwheat flour)
- 2 cups almond milk (or your choice of plant-based milk)
- 3 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 2 tbsp coconut nectar (or your chosen liquid sweetener)
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- Pinch of Himalayan pink salt
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon (or more if you’re a cinnamon addict like me!)
- Coconut oil for cooking

To Serve per person:
- 1 Banana, sliced
- Drizzle of coconut nectar
- Sprinkle of goji berries
- Sprinkle of shredded coconut


Method:
- Combine the dry ingredients together in a bowl, then form a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and add in the wet ingredients. Combine them both together really well until there are no lumps in the batter.
- Heat up a pan to a medium heat and pop a small amount of coconut oil in the pan.
- Once the pan has heated and the coconut oil has melted, pour in around a ¼ of a cup of batter for each pancake, and leave it in there to cook until the little bubbles appear over the top of the pancake. Flip it over to cook for a further minute on the other side, or until it’s golden. Transfer them to a wire rack once they are done, to stop them from getting soggy while you cook up the rest of the batter.
- Cook up the rest of the batter the same way; you may need to add in a touch more coconut oil to the pan as you go.
- To serve, pop them on a plate with fresh sliced banana, a drizzle of coconut nectar, goji berries and shredded coconut. Or just eat them straight from the pan!


Let me know how you go if you do try this out yourselves, or post a picture on instagram with the hashtag #cinnamoncourtney so I can see all of your recreations!


‘There is plenty for everyone, including me’ – Louise L. Hay

No comments:

Post a Comment