Saturday 10 January 2015

My Pantry Staples

            I had always been health conscious but I remember back when I was only starting to get into healthy baking and cooking, I would look up recipes online and have no idea what half of the ingredients were, or how they reacted when baking.
           
Some of the following ingredients are pretty different but a lot of them are just items you would walk past in the supermarket all the time. It’s small swaps and changes in the ingredients you buy and the types of foods you eat that can improve your health exponentially. No one changes everything overnight, and often when that happens it hard to keep sustainable, we return to what we find comfortable.

So I started by just swapping a few of my ingredients with healthier options and incorporated what worked for me into my staples, and not everything did. For instance, I have tried coconut flour so many times, determined to make it work in my baking (it never did, really not loving the texture) and that I would grow to like the taste (nope, just no way), so that particular health food didn’t make its way into my pantry staples. And that’s ok, what works for one wont work for all, and I found that a combination of buckwheat four or brown rice flour, with a mix of almond meal has an awesome consistency in my baking, so I use that instead. You will find healthier swaps that will work for you; the key is to keep trying and experimenting, not too much at once but not giving up on healthier options all together when you aren’t a fan of a few of them. It doesn’t have to be an all or nothing change, but surrounding yourself with healthy, nutritious food is a good way to start, as we will eat what is available.

I love to fill my fridge with fruit and vegetables, and they are usually what make up the majority of my food shops, but I will always have the other ingredients listed here available in my pantry.



Flours & Baking Items:
Buckwheat Flour
Brown Rice Flour
Oat Flour (or just rolled oats that I grind up into flour when I need to)
Almond Meal
Hazelnut Meal
Millet Meal
Baking Powder
Baking Soda
Vanilla Extract
Flaxseed Meal (my egg replacement)
Coconut Sugar
Rice Malt Syrup
Coconut Nectar
Coconut Oil

Spice Rack:
Cinnamon
Nutmeg
Clove
Turmeric
Ginger
Chili Flakes
Cayenne Pepper
Coriander Root
Cardamom
Oregano
Coriander
Chives
Thyme
Sage
Basil
Black Pepper Corns
Himalayan Pink Salt

Superfood Powders:
Maca Powder
Camu Camu Powder
Mesquite Powder
Lucuma Powder
Acai Berry Powder
Glow Inner Beauty Powder by The Beauty Chef

Pantry Goods:
Raw Cacao Powder
Carob Powder
Bee Pollen
Unhulled Tahini
Hulled Tahini
Nut Butter
Manuka Honey
100% Fruit Jam (no added sugar)
Unsweetened Almond Milk
Nutritional Yeast Flakes
Almonds
Walnuts
Pecans
Cashews
Peanuts
Sunflower Seeds
Pepita Seeds
Chia Seeds
Buckwheat Groats
Goji berries
Sultanas
Dates
Cranberries
Shredded Coconut
Rolled Oats
Popcorn Kernels
Millet
Quinoa
Lentils
Brown Rice
White Rice
Corn Pasta
Gluten Free Pasta
Organic Tinned Tomatoes
Organic Coconut Milk/Cream
Organic Tinned Beans

Fridge:
Unsweetened Almond Milk
Tamari
Mustard
Apple Cider Vinegar
Fruit (usually fruit that’s in season, and as much as I can afford)
Veggies (these also change depending on the season, I will eat almost any veg, except peas…)

Freezer:
Banana
Mango
Berries
Lemon Juice (ice cubes)
Coconut Milk/Cream (ice cubes)
Passion Fruit Pulp (ice cubes)
Kale
Corn
Leftovers

Other:
Lemon
Banana
Avocado
White Potato
Sweet Potato
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Coconut Oil
Coffee
Tea (Green, Black and Herbal Selections)

Let me know what swaps you want to make with your food choices; I’d love to hear them! I hope you are all having an amazing day!

‘When you change the way you look at something, what you look at will change’ – Deepak Chopra

No comments:

Post a Comment