Wednesday 14 January 2015

Apple Pie Bircher Muesli

           

            For many people breakfast is one of the first things to be sacrificed in order to get a little bit more sleep in the morning. Those extra 5 minutes given to sleep by hitting the snooze button. Personally I could never miss breakfast. It has got to be my favourite meal of the day and if I could eat breakfast foods for every meal I would be in heaven.

            I must admit though, I did used to skip breakfast sometimes when I was in high school simply because I ran out of time to make it when I was getting ready in the morning. And I would often nap after school simply because I had worn myself out during the day.

            So to help get us through the morning rush while still giving our bodies the fuel they need to function during the day, one of the easiest solutions is to prepare it the night before! This one bowl recipe is jam packed full of fiber, healthy plant fats and proteins, as well as slow releasing energy ingredients that will get you through your day without crashing.
           

Apple Pie Bircher Muesli

Plant-based – Dairy Free

Makes – 2 Serves
Time – Prep: 10 Minutes
Setting: Overnight


Ingredients:

- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp pepita seeds
- 1 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 1 tbsp shredded coconut
- ¼ cup sultanas
- ½ an apple, grated (any type you like)
- zest of half a lemon
- 1 ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp maca powder (optional)
- pinch of ground ginger
- pinch of ground clove
- pinch of ground nutmeg


Top with: (optional)

- Fresh and/or dried fruit, ground cinnamon and chia seeds. I used the second half of the apple from the above ingredients; to store it overnight I chopped it up, covered the apple pieces in lemon juice to help stop the browning and popped it in an airtight container in the fridge.



Method:

- This recipe couldn’t be simpler. Place all the ingredients in an airtight container and mix them around, making sure they ingredients are all combined. Then pop it in the fridge over night.

- The next morning spoon out half the mixture and top it with fresh and dried fruits, ground cinnamon and a sprinkle of chia seeds. 

- Alternatively, if you know you will be in a rush the next morning, you can split the mixture into separate jars before setting overnight, so all you need to do in the morning is grab and go.

- This mixture lasts in an airtight container in the fridge for a few days, so is perfect to prepare a batch ahead of time for a few school or working days.



Let me know how you go if you do try this out yourselves, or post a picture on instagram with the hashtag #cinnamoncourtney so I can see all of your recreations!


‘I turn every experience into an opportunity’ – Louise L. Hay

No comments:

Post a Comment