Sunday 15 May 2016

Spiced Caramel Self Saucing Pudding

Hello friends,

Long time, no see!

Today I had the day off work and was super excited to get into the kitchen again! Life has been pretty jam packed recently and even though I have still had time to bake a few things, it hasn't been that calm and relaxing baking experience that I love!

Today's recipe isn't one that I have created, I found it on the gorgeous Gather & Feast Blog.
If you haven't seen Ashley's blog do yourself a favor and go and check it out! She is an absolute sweetheart, and her photography and baking skills are  i n c r e d i b l e! 


Vegan Spiced Caramel Self Saucing Pudding

Recipe found HERE on Gather & Feast Blog

This recipe was so easy to follow along with, and luckily for me, wasn't filled with ingredients I didn't already have in my pantry.


It is super simple to make, essentially you need one spoon, one bowl, one saucepan and a pair of kitchen scissors while your prepping, and then a baking dish for the oven.  

I used the scissors to chop up my dates because I didnt want to get a chopping board and a knife dirty (less dishes!), but I found these dates bassically broke down as soon as I touched them! 

They were beyond soft and gooey, and had almost became a caramel sauce under my fingertips.



Ok, so as you can tell from below, mine is waayyy less presentable than Ashley's but holy moly people... it tastes sooo good! I love that the spices are coming through as the main flavour here. As spices normally take a back seat in baking to help give the other ingredients (like fruits) an extra flavour dimension.

The reason my pud isn't as dark and caramelized as Ashley's is actually because I cooked mine 10C less than recommended and I also cooked it 10 minutes less.

Why is that? you ask.

Well... at the start of the week it was both my mum's and my boss' birthday on the same day, and I decided to bake them each a cake. Long story short, my oven was way hotter than the recipe called for and I completely dried out and burnt my boss' cake (so sorry!!)

I only managed to save my mother's cake because it needed a lot longer to cook and by the time I figured out my oven was too hot, I still had enough time to take hers out before it completely burnt and dried out.
*It was Lola Berry's Hummingbird Cake recipe (which i veganised) and it was super tasty!

I know realize (as I am typing this) that it was because I was also roasting sweet potatoes at a much higher temperature before putting the cakes in.  S m a r t   m o v e   C o u r t n e y . . .

Any way, I was scared to burn this, so I cooked it lower and for less time (*completely unnecessary).



I kept mine vegan by serving it with Coyo coconut ice cream. I chose their tamarind and sticky date flavour! Soo yummy...

I hope you guys get the chance to go check out Gather & Feast, you will  n o t  be disappointed!

I hope you all have an awesome day and find time to smile!



Much love,

Cinnamon Courtney xo


No comments:

Post a Comment